10 February 2022 — articles
Are you contemplating how a baby might affect your life?
There’s one thing for sure. Besides the immense joy a baby brings, raising a child is a big responsibility. That’s where the Australian Government’s Paid Parental Leave (PPL) scheme can help.
PPL reflects the government’s recognition that parents need time to bond with their newborn babies. Being with your baby full-time in those important first months also helps you adjust to parenthood.
The PPL program provides up to 18 weeks of paid leave at the national minimum wage.
To be eligible, you must:
• be the child’s primary carer
• meet the program’s income test
• meet the program’s work test
• comply with the program’s residency rules.
Australia’s PPL is a means-tested program. This means that to qualify, your individual adjusted taxable income in the financial year prior to the birth of your baby, or date of your claim, must be $150,000 or less.
adjustable taxable income must include:
• the final income amount on which your tax obligation is calculated after all tax deductions and tax credits have been subtracted
• reportable fringe benefits, as in grossed salary packaging
• reportable superannuation contributions, as in extra tax-deductible superannuation contributions
• net investment losses, as in negative gearing on a property
• income from foreign sources, including tax-exempt income.
Income test example
Claire is a registered medical officer at a public hospital. Claire’s taxable income for the financial year before the baby is born is detailed below.
Income test example:
• Gross income $140,000
• Minus salary packaging at the cap threshold ($9,010)
• Taxable income $130,990
• Plus ‘grossed up’ salary packaging $17,000
• Plus negatively geared investment loss $3,475
• Final adjusted taxable income $151,465
To qualify for the PPL program, Claire must meet both of the following criteria:
Only Australian citizens, permanent visa or special category visa holders are eligible for the PPL scheme.
If you have questions about the Australian PPL scheme, please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.
Vanessa Smith BBus (Acc), Adv Dip FS (FP) Cert IV FMB
Senior Consultant |Bongiorno Group
As this general advice has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs, you should consider the appropriateness of this advice before acting on it. If this general advice relates to acquiring a financial product, you should obtain a Product Disclosure Statement before deciding to acquire the product.
Interested in speaking with one of our advisers about achieving your financial and lifestyle goals? Click below to register your interest and we will contact you to make a complimentary appointment (that fits around your busy schedule)